"Thinking Parent, Thinking Child" by Myrna ShureI rented this from the library and I've heard positive things about it. We'll see. We're going through a very difficult phase with Shiloh right now and I could use all of the help and extra insight I can get. I'm not sure if it's independence, more self-awareness or just plain stubbornness, but it's a daily challenge.
I've grown accustomed to reading Christian parenting books almost exclusively in recent years, so it's a little difficult to look at this book through those eyes. I'm just in the first bit, so I'm not giong to judge it on that point just yet, but it's just... different. At any rate, I'm not a fan of the book cover. Maybe things like that don't matter to you, but they drive me crazy. The cover image sends a pointed message -- the father is lagging behind with his hands in his pockets while the mother is enthusiastically leading the way. As our brother James would say, "My brothers, this should not be!" (Js 3) As the spiritual leader, the father should be leading the charge and setting the example, not the other way around. Again, it's just a picture. Not a big deal. But it bothers me. Then again, what doesn't...? ;o)
One of the main points of Shure's method seems to be asking children to think about how what they're doing makes them feel and how they think it makes you feel. You're encouraged to ask your children if they can think of a different way to solve problems, the goal being to help them arrive at their own solutions, thus being more willing to carry them out. I completely get the logic. Today, Shiloh was making a slew of bad choices. Very calmly, I asked her to maybe think of some other ways she could solve the problems she was having. "Can you think of a different way to get what you need right now?" I probed. She glared at me with all the hatefulness of a 5 yr-old tantrum and said "No! I like THIS way!!!" ..... Yeah. It's a work in progress. I then proceeded to yell back and after much goings-on, sent her to her room. I had this book in my hand whilst doing so. And yes, I see the irony in that. Like I said, I've only read the first bit. ;o)
"The Raw Food Lifestyle" by Ruthann RussoSeems to be a good introduction so far. We've been on and off about this for awhile. The benefits seems so numerous and in conjunction with many of our beliefs about health and nutrition, but, admittedly, it's a very difficult lifestyle change.
We're already vegetarians and have been for five years now. We've been vegan, but added dairy back into our diet for a season and are now addicted to cheese again. :o( Shiloh is comfortable with eating many different kinds of food, has never had meat (unless on accident -- think gelatin in fruit snacks given by teachers, friends, etc) and didn't even have dairy until she was 2.5 years old. She eats very well and a wide variety of foods, is always willing to try new things, so I don't think a raw food diet would be a challenge for her at all.
Us, on the other hand...
Our goal is to eventually be at least 80% raw. At that point, a person can reap all of the benefits of going completely raw while still indulging in some cooked food on occasion. That's where I'd like to be. We began our "raw journey" in the fall and it was FABULOUS. I loved it. Avocados, bean sprouts, fresh foods, non-processed, it was amazing. Then it got cold. And so did I. It was really difficult for me to avoid comfort winter foods such as potato soup, chili and even just plain old mac n cheese. I missed it terribly and was freezing all the time. I understand that there are certain "warming" foods that you can eat to prevent this, but it just wasn't the same. It was a difficult transition, and Rick and I both eventually reverted back to our default vegetarian diet. Now that the weather is beginning to warm up and spring is close and we're planning our garden, I'm hoping to get "back on the wagon" and try again. We'll see how it goes.
This picture is just about one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.This past summer, we had to put down our dog Dallas. He had been with us since Rick and I were dating, was the BEST dog. He had an incredibly sweet nature, was just 100+ pounds of furry love. He was a Golden Retriever/German Shepherd mix and was 12. He had many health problems and had become incontinent. Shiloh was very attached to him.
She still gets very upset about him having died and will periodically cry about it in the most random of times. In the car the other day, she was having one of these times and we told her to think of where Dallas might be now. She searched around in the car and found some crayons and paper and drew this picture.
It's Dallas with his "weird crazy" hair smelling a flower. Because that would make him happy. And he's in heaven, and heaven is beautiful. So beautiful, in fact, that he is completely surrounded by shining stars everywhere he looks and he's always happy.
I love her.
She said that she wanted to hang this in her room so that any time she was upset she could look at it and know that Dallas is happy and she wouldn't miss him so much.
:o)
No comments:
Post a Comment